Terms and Conditions
The Port website provides opportunities for citizens who wish to discuss content we publish, or debate issues more generally. Our aim is to ensure this platform is inclusive and safe. To facilitate this, the following guidelines apply:
- We welcome debate and dissent, but personal attacks (on authors or any other individual), persistent inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages will not be tolerated.
- We understand that people often feel strongly about issues, but we will consider removing any content that others might find extremely offensive or threatening. Please respect other people’s views and beliefs and consider your impact on others when making your contribution.
- We reserve the right to redirect or curtail conversations which descend into hostile and insulting interaction based on partisanship or generalizations. We don’t want to stop people discussing topics they are enthusiastic about, but we do ask users to find ways of sharing their views that do not feel divisive, threatening or toxic to others.
- We will not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia or other forms of hate-speech, or contributions that could be interpreted as such. We recognize the difference between criticizing a particular government, organization, community or belief and attacking people on the basis of their race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age.
- We will remove any posts that are obviously commercial or otherwise spam-like. Our aim is that this site should actively discourage commercial entities passing themselves off as individuals and people or organizations who seek to post advertising material or links without adding substantively to the quality of the discussion.
- Keep it relevant. We know that some conversations can be wide-ranging, but if you post something which is unrelated to the original topic (“off-topic”) then it may be removed, in order to keep the thread on track. Queries or comments about moderation should not be posted as comments.
- Be aware that you may be misunderstood, so try to be clear about what you are saying, and expect that people may understand your contribution differently than you intended. Remember that text isn’t always a great medium for conversation: tone of voice (sarcasm, humor and so on) doesn’t always come across when using words on a screen. You can help to keep the community areas open to all viewpoints by maintaining a reasonable tone, even in unreasonable circumstances.
The Port website provides opportunities for citizens who wish to discuss content we publish, or debate issues more generally. Our aim is to ensure this platform is inclusive and safe. All comments are moderated to achieve this goal.
We will, when necessary, remove user postings or comments from our articles, and blog posts.
If a contribution to the Port website is perceived as breaching the community guidelines set out above, then it will be removed by the community team, in the interests of keeping community areas of the site appropriate for the vast majority of the people who visit.
We will not edit user posts to change the meaning, spelling, or anything else intended by the user. Even if only part of a comment or posting is perceived as breaching the community guidelines, the whole thing may be removed. Also, when a comment or post is removed for any of the reasons above, it is sometimes necessary to delete subsequent messages which refer to explicitly or quote from the original (removed) comment, in order to preserve some notion of conversational thread. This may also happen because a later comment quotes directly the problematic bits of the original comment, which just perpetuates the problem. In such cases not every deletion will be marked individually.